Friday 13 February 2009

The Disappearance - Part 1

Letter One

Dear Mr Gray

If you are reading this letter, it means the following is true:

1. You can decipher codes
2. Your name is not really Gray
3. You are part of an elite organisation whose spies are spread out all over the world, in all areas of industry and society

I'm not sure if I even know where this all starts - yet - but I can tell you this much: Someone approached me a few months ago with a load of files containing copies of photos, newspaper clippings, drawings and notes, as well as DVDs and an external hard drive for a computer. All of this information relates to events that, according to my source, no one will remember. I have no idea who this person is, by the way, other than that he or she wore a ridiculous fancy-dress alien outfit when we met, complete with a voice-distorting mask. A little over the top, perhaps. But considering that I was asked to dress up as a giant pea and meet at someone's party, it was par for the course, I suppose.

I am still filtering through all of this stuff, but it's going to take some time. If the rest of it is anything like what I've read and seen so far, it's quite unbelievable. In fact, frankly, it sounds like something that belongs in a book (drum roll, please)... Very handy, then, that I happen to be the third best-selling author in the country, don't you think?

The Disappearance has just been published and is available at all good bookstores.

Have a read-through and get in touch. I'm sure you can find me any time you like.

Oh, by the way. At that fancy-dress party, although I couldn't be certain because of the loud, irritating thump-thumping of the music, I think I heard my "alien" source said that my life could be in danger. I've been safe all this time, so I don't know if I heard correctly. But, considering I'd like to make it past my fifteenth birthday, perhaps you should read the book quickly and call me.

Yours sincerely

Patrick McBottomley

No comments:

Post a Comment